In an era where good help is hard to find, it’s more important than ever to keep your employees happy and motivated. And while you may think that the answer lies in offering more money or perks, sometimes the simplest solution is right in front of you—literally. Of course, we’re talking about your office seating.
That’s right, the type of chair or seating arrangement you have in your office can actually affect employee productivity. And while you may not be able to control everything in the workplace, making a few changes to your seating arrangements is something that’s well within your power.
Ways to Motivate Employees to Work
There have been tons of literature written about getting employees to work and increasing their productivity. And while there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, there are definitely some general principles that you can follow to create a more productive workplace. So what are some of the best ways to seat your team members to motivate them? Let’s take a look at the following three employee motivation tips for ideas.
Employee Motivation Tip #1: Upgrade Your Office Furniture
The first way to motivate employees is to offer them adjustable furniture. This type of furniture allows employees to move around and get comfortable in their own space. When workers feel comfortable, they’re more likely to be productive team members.
The science backs this up, and a study funded by the American Society of Interior Designers Foundation showed a strong link between adjustable office furniture and heightened productivity, increased focus and better overall health. So, it’s definitely worth considering this option for your team members. New seating options to think about in these circumstances include standing desks since there are so many health benefits associated with standing all day.
Is Sitting All Day Bad for You?
Can sitting too much cause health problems? That’s a resounding yes, as the health risks of sitting at a desk all day are well documented. The practice can lead to medical conditions like cardiovascular disease and back problems. Meanwhile, the health benefits of a standing desk range from fighting obesity and diabetes to preventing certain cancers, so it’s a pretty certain bet that this is a good option for your team members.
Employees can customize their seating to their own liking with a standing desk and get the perfect fit for their height and build. Not only will this lead to more comfortable employees, but it will also help prevent injuries caused by poor posture.
Bad Sitting Posture Effects
Just as sitting causes health problems, bad posture can lead to a host of issues like spinal dysfunction, back pain, degenerating joints and even a potbelly!
You can help your team members avoid these problems and stay healthy while they work by offering ergonomic furniture.
Don’t be too quick in getting them a medicine ball, either, although it’s been trendy lately. Medicine ball users tend to cause the user to crouch forward or relax and slouch after they get used to it. Experts recommend using the ball in intervals rather than for extended periods if you use one.
Counteract Poor Posture with Ergonomic Furniture
High-quality adjustable chairs can help improve posture—and for good employee well-being practices, choose a model with good lumbar support to keep the spine in alignment. Also, look for chairs that allow you to adjust the seat’s depth, width and height. The armrests should be adjustable, so avoid chairs with fixed or missing armrests. You should also be able to swivel the chair around when needed.
The way you rest your feet also plays a prominent role in supporting the upper body and sitting up straight. A footrest can help with this. There are also posture braces you slip on your upper arm and shoulders that encourage you to pull back slouching arms and sit up straight.
Employee Motivation Tip #2: Experiment with Different Seating Arrangements
During the pandemic, employees stayed at home and made their kitchen and bedrooms work as an office. Therefore, there are going to be some residual feelings about it when it comes to their office setup and its flexibility. Taking this effect into account, a way to motivate your employees is to create a workplace environment that’s conducive to collaboration.
Seating arrangements that encourage employee interaction are more likely to result in successful teamwork. For instance, allowing employees to work from anywhere in the office instead of confining them to their own desks can help. This simple act can help employees foster a sense of community and collaboration while also giving them the freedom to move around and get comfortable.
Huddle rooms for impromptu chats with remote team members, alfresco office spaces, employee lounge areas, and more are all great spaces to bring team members together and foster communication. Before long, they will bounce ideas off one another, which leads to a more meaningful work-life for them.
You can also try open office spaces vs. high walled cubicle spaces to motivate employees. However, keep in mind the type of industry you are in since an open floor space could demotivate employees who need quiet and solitude to do their work.
Also, having managers sit in with their team instead of being tucked away in an office can amp up the group dynamic, especially when it comes to sales teams.
If you’re not sure where to start, try out a few different arrangements and see what works best for your team. And, as always, if you have any questions or need help finding the right office furniture for your needs, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help!
Give Your Team a Choice
Another option is to allow employees to choose their own seating for the office. This can be done by giving them a designated amount of time to sit in different types of chairs or areas of the office, and then letting them choose the spot that they’re most comfortable with.
Not only will this lead to more comfortable and, therefore, productive employees, but it will also show them that you’re willing to listen to their needs and accommodate them.
Employee Motivation Tip #3: Elevate the Work Environment
No one wants to sit around in their upgraded chairs and look at drab walls in an office that’s lit with poor lighting. That just breeds a culture of Eeyores. You want to motivate employees, not demotivate them. So here are a few things you can do to lighten the mood in their work environment:
- Use natural lighting: If possible, allow as much natural light into the office as possible. Studies have shown that workers who are exposed to natural light are happier and more productive.
- Bring in plants: Adding some greenery to the office can help bring life to the work environment, boost morale and make the space feel more inviting.
- Add some color: A pop of color here and there can help to liven up office space and make it more visually appealing.
- Optimize wall space: Utilizing the walls in your office can help to make the space feel more open and airy. Something as simple as switching out specific art items and other decorations can assist in getting better productivity out of your group.
Are Standing Desks Healthy?
Yes – Read below for the top five health benefits for standing desks, and become a part of the revolution.
Health Benefits of a Standing Desk
- Preventing Cancer – Yes, cancer. While we’re often assaulted with the many, many causes of cancer being discovered seemingly almost daily, one leading cause is inactivity. Breast and colon cancer, according to a 2011 study, see almost 50,000 diagnoses which are related to inactivity.
- Preventing Obesity – This one is pretty obvious, but the less you move, the less your burn. If you add up all the time you spend sitting per day, that six- to eight-hour work day can add up over the years. Getting moving more often, and sitting less, can have a serious impact on the amount of calories you burn.
- Improving Posture – Bad posture is a leading cause of back pain. Ask yourself, and other workers in your office: “How often do you experience back pain?” This is most likely attributed to hunching over your desk for hours at a time. You won’t feel the effects immediately though—it’s through prolonged bad posture that you can develop chronic back pain.
- Preventing Diabetes – Even more bad news for standard desk users. Standing more throughout the day is associated with lowering blood sugar levels, which can help fight Type 2 Diabetes. Each time you eat, your blood sugar levels rise significantly for a period of time, and prolonged exposure to heightened blood sugar can cause diabetes. The Department of Clinical Sciences and Nutrition found in 2014 that standing more often can lead to lower blood sugar spikes, thus helping to fend off diabetes.This is important to consider because of the long-ranging effects of diabetes on quality of life. Each day you have to worry about how food is going to affect you in a major way. Along with the costs of medication that needs to be used daily, standing desks quickly become an investment not only in your health, but your finances as well!
- Improving Your Mood – If you work out daily, you know that after a great regimen your mood and outlook is elevated. This is in part because your muscles are working to keep you standing, which requires circulation. While sitting slows down blood circulation, standing helps keep circulation in a constant state of healthy flow, which will over time have significant mental and physical benefits.
A better posture is also closely associated with mood. A study by the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback shows that posture has an overarching effect on mood. Imagine how your productivity is impacted by your mood at work!
Time to Act
Choosing the right standing desk is also important. We at Saraval Industries carry a wide range of standing desks at affordable prices because we know that making this investment now can save you money, health, and potentially quality of life. With our selection, you can factor important considerations in your choice, such as how far away your screen needs to be, how high your setup should be, and even style and color so you can make the right choice that fits you. Join the revolution now and check out the used standing desks for sale now in our shop.
The tips here are just a few ideas to get you started. After that, the sky’s the limit when it comes to making your office a place that employees actually want to be.
Saraval Industries Can Help with Your Employee Motivation Campaign
The health benefits of standing all day are numerous. If you’re looking for ways to motivate your employees, Saraval Industries has the solution. We offer a wide range of adjustable new and used office furniture, wall art and more that can be customized to meet your needs.